Saturday, August 4, 2007

That moment we've been waiting for

Every so often, God throws something at you that you just can't believe would come from anywhere else but Him. This is one of those times.

Wayne and I packed up our stuff today and then took Annika to the Ocean Park. It's an old abandoned park that has lots of fun stuff, BBQ pits, and stone dolphins to play on, but which is surrounded by a marsh that drowned the road. You have to get there by walking on the train tracks and then climbing down a rock wall. Anyways.... on the way home, we stopped to grab some food.

We were feeding Annika and enjoying a family meal when someone knocked on our door. I was surprised-- no one ever knocks except the UPS man and the next door neighbor, this really sweet woman who always brings me fresh strawberries because she knows that I love them. It was her.

She and I have only talked a handful of times. When I first moved here, she introduced herself. I once asked her for a babysitter when I was in a pinch and she gave me a recommendation, who I was surprised and pleased to learn was a Christian. She asked why we had moved here and I told her that we had come out here to work with a church in IV. I told her we thought we would be starting a house church.
When I saw her again, it was months later, and she was bringing me strawberries. And then again, on her way to work. She just waved and said hello.

As she stood on my doorstep, I could tell immediately that something was wrong. She asked me how I was feeling and I told her I was fine, and then I asked how she was. She responded with: "Not too good. Isn't your husband a pastor? Is he home?"

"Not quite," we both answered, " but come on in!"

We sat her down and she started pouring out her heart to us. She said that her husband just told her he was ready for a divorce. Apparently, he has cheated on her several times. Each time she found out, and each time she agreed to take him back because of the children. But the fighting continued. Finally, a few months ago he agreed to try to work it out. She was overjoyed. But the trial didn't work out and he told her he was moving to his brother's house where he was going to ponder what to do during their separation. He came home to her this morning and said he was done trying to work it out and that he was ready for a divorce. She was crushed. They have two children, and she has been trying to protect her kids from all of this the whole time, and it has been really challenging.
To say that she was heartbroken is an understatement. Wayne and I counseled her for about an hour, after which we prayed. It was INCREDIBLE to see how much she was seeking God's will for her life.
Turns out she was a catholic, but that when she had gone to her priest earlier that day for advice, he had AGAIN just given her solid advice about locking the guy out, giving him no options, and protecting the kids. What she really wanted, she told us, was what Wayne and I were apparently giving her at that moment: a friend, and someone to listen and advise her gently... someone to pray with her and support her and show her that God was there and active.
She said she had been once to a really big church in Carpinteria that she had LOVED, and where the people had supported and prayed for her in a way she had never experienced... and told us she was hearing more from God when she was talking with Christians than Catholics. (that was our friend Britt's church-- yay!)
The Lord had His hand ALL over this situation. It was amazing to see how open and receptive she was to the nature of the gospel, and how broken she was before Him, ready to allow Him to be Lord over all in her life. I was so encouraged by this meeting that I wanted to cry!
And I was so proud of Wayne... he did an amazing job of counseling her and it was totally beautiful.

As soon as she left, Wayne and I looked at each other and instantly, we knew. THAT was why we were still here! God is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...