Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I am scared of children

I am scared of children.

My next door neighbors are all a little intense.
I live in this condo complex where there are about ten houses. The kids in this complex have NO fear. By that, I mean that when a car comes around the corner, they not only don't move, they obstinately see how close they can get without hitting it. Every single person who has ever come over has "almost" hit one. They just scurry right under the vehicles with no fear.
All of the parents work, and most of the kids go to school and then ditch, coming home, hiding until the parents come home, and then re-appearing again as if they were in school all day. One of the kids isn't enrolled in school, but isn't homeschooled either. He has developmental issues, but he's used to being around little gangsta kids, so from his demeanor, etc, he is indistinguishable from the other kids on the block. He often spends entire days shooting a lonely basketball into a hoop and staring at traffic.
There are two twins. They always wear clothes with holes and no one ever does their hair, resulting in a tangled black mass sitting atop their heads. Their older brother keeps an eye on them, but I've seen him involved in some pretty heavy drug use in the bushes back behind the complex. The whole crew, aged three to about fifteen, is out every single day.
To be honest, they make me uncomfortable. It is wierd to say that about children, but they do.
Many are the times where I walked through their large group with Annika in the stroller and they stopped what they were doing to stare. In the beginning they would throw things at me: walnuts, pieces of wood from the landscaping, footballs. And laugh. When I would stop to engage them and figure out why they did it, they would run away.
These kids have a potty mouth I have never heard on such young children.
Yesterday two of them had it out over a foos-ball game. As they rolled around on the ground, the profanity they were shouting was just... unbelievable. I tried to stop them, not physically because I was afraid I'd get hit in the stomach or something, but by reasoning with them. They swore at me and told me to get lost in so many words.
At about 11 pm last night, Wayne and I were in the bedroom, doing our thing, when we were interrupted by the loud screams of a child. We stopped to listen. He was crying, nervous, and obviously agitated. I recognized the voice as that of one of the nine year olds. His mother was screaming at the top of her lungs and sending all types of murderous threats his way if he didn't get in the car, but he wasn't having it. Suddenly, Wayne and I were both gripped with fear when we heard the other neighborhood kids telling the mom to chill out, get away from him, or he was going to "fire on her."
We looked out the window and saw a chilling and intense physical struggle and realized that the child was probably in possession of a firearm which he was wielding because he didn't want to go wherever she was trying to take him at eleven o'clock at night.
Wayne immediately bolted downstairs to call the police, who (amazing!) arrived within minutes of our call and immediately (albeit slowly.. it took several hours) sorted out the situation and took care of it so that the rest of us could resume our nightly activities in peace.
There are so many things wrong with this situation it's hard to know where to begin. Why is the mom taking him somewhere at eleven, when he should be well into his sleep cycle by then? Why would he have access to a firearm? Why are all the other neighborhood kids up and about and entitled to tell the mom what to do? Why, why, why are these kids such monsters? Why are their parents the most irresponsible people on earth? If you're going to have kids, then what is the point of acting like you don't??

I'll be honest, I'm scared of the kids in my neighborhood. I pray through each encounter with them and I try to maintain composure when the group surrounds me or shows interest in me or Annika. These people are the future of this country. Why do I encounter this over and over again?? We need to pray for the children, that they would be saved at a young age and that they would be changed into the likeness of Christ at a young age. I'm honestly at a loss. It seems like a complete systems failure, from parents to government... but I know God loves these kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...