Monday, August 6, 2007

Blog Lite

As breakfast sizzles in my frying pan I thought I'd just pop in and shed some light on the craziness that's been going on.
Amidst all the packing, I decided to do something this weekend I've almost never done--- take a complete weekend off from doing any type of work. (well, I did go to the laundromat, but it was hardly work this time... just a couple loads.)

Wayne and I holed up with the bean, took a couple car rides and visited a couple spots, and spent the ENTIRE weekend in each other's company and enjoying Annika... which is rare for us. There always seems to be something to do or somewhere to go, but making this type of commitment was a WONDERFUL way to spend the three days! I was really blessed. Of course, in the midst of it, we also hashed out some pretty serious relationship stuff that had been weighing on us. And despite that--- no arguments! It was an argument free- total sharing experience. Amazing. DOn't get me wrong, it's not that we argue alot, it's that I expect that when we have really serious conversations like these that we get into a mind blowing row at one point or another--- our ideas about life are just so different! But I'm pleased to report I think we are more "one" than even we give ourselves credit for-- I have found it effortless to follow my husband these last few months when it used to be rather trying based on our majorly different life views (I honestly think that if I had been raised Southern, I might have had a better idea of what's important to him than like this-- it's like our cultures are at odds on almost everything. He values hard work and morally upright families and freedom, I value good conversation and the small pleasures in life.. .etc)

It's been so cool that as our marriage has gone on, we have cleaved to each other and developped a "culture" all our own. I'm very blessed to have him.

Um, what else? Oh! This morning Annika and I are getting ready to do an hour of yoga practice and then attack the garage-- which will be a three day job. I'm really looking forward to getting that done, because once it's over, there will be nothing left to do but pack up the truck and go!

Last night as the sun was setting Wayne and I stood at our huge window in our room and looked out at the hills, and we talked about how cute and little Lompoc is. He warmed up to it much faster than I did, of course, (lets be honest, I'm a bit more cosmopolitan than he is!) but I have to admit, every time I spend the day in SB these days I'm less and less enchanted with it. I sat at a restaurant with Annika the other day feeding her apples and raisins while SB locals jetted back and forth around me jabbering on their cell phones about the most menial and ridiculous topics, as if their very lives depended on them:

"No! Mom, I told you, I want the bridesmaids dresses in Mint! Peach totally washes me out. No, you're just going to have to change the order. It's just a few hundred dollars! Moooooooooo----oooom!"

"It's a great little wine bar, right off state. I'm thinking a buy out, up front. It's dying, Joe. I've got a vision. There's some real money to be made here."

"You do what you want, sweetheart. it's always been that way. No, I don't want to hear it. well, fine, but I've got a massage in ten so make it quick. "

As I was eavesdropping on these with (I'll admit) a great deal of revulsion, the Lord reminded me that this was all a part of the human experience, and that these things were truly important to these people... and that I was called to love them, which was intense. The older I get, the easier it is for me to write people off, which is an AWFUL thing to do.
When Wayne and I were first married and were discovering each other, whenever we would fight it would come out that he thought I was spoiled. I thought that was nonsense, but with a little step back it's easy to see how he could think that... I was! Growing up in this town had me believing that it was unthinkable to go to a dinner party without first getting your nails done, that a decent place to eat could not possibly have booths, or that people should naturally do whatever they could to attract attention and be noticed. It makes me want to puke, looking back. But eh, we live, we learn.
And now I'm on the other side of the fence and I have to find ways to love and serve people with that same mindset... it's interesting how life works.

Anyways.... that's all. I'm anxious to get to my yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...