Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mamma Monday: Devotionals with young kids

There are five activities-or categories- my husband and I try to instill in the kids each day that are "devotion" oriented: proper doctrine and Catechesis, a habit of prayer and recollection, (awareness of God's presence) love of and knowledge of Scripture, a sense of heritage (love of and friendship with the family of God), earnest worship in Spirit and truth, and a love of and knowledge of the liturgy. 
Soooo, how do we do that? I have to look at it as I do at my homeschooling-- I can't compartmentalize "religion" but I have to weave it into the rest of the day.
 Also, keep in mind that my kids are 1, 3 and 4 so it will obviously evolve as time goes by. :P
We start out by saying a traditional prayer we have called the "Morning Offering." We also read another memorized prayer called the Lorica, a prayer written circa 300 by Saint Patrick of Ireland that I think is the BEST start to each day. (you can google it if you're interested.)
Then we have breakfast, and during breakfast I go over the "Character qualities chart" I have for the book of Proverbs that the Duggars use (google is your friend!) and we do one each day.
We also do a veggie tales devotional (365 Veggie Tales Devos) which is a one-per-day thing they like. I love it too, and it is very easy for young kids (ages three and up with a little bit of modifying) to understand.
We start the day and basically I just weave some prayer and scripture into their day as the opportunity presents itself.
("Oh, Ishod, you WANT to hit Annika because you are angry, but you know that that makes the hearts of Jesus and Mary so sad, don't you? So you will listen to your good guardian angel who is sitting right here beside you and who wants you to forgive her, won't you? Here, let's pray together and ask for some help, because I know it's hard to do the right thing!" or.. "Oh, Annika, I'm so GLAD you asked, because do you know what God's Word says to you about obeying your mommy and daddy? Here, let me show you..."you get the picture.)
I teach them formal catechism at lunch, it's a question and answer, memorizable format that's super easy for kids. Mine is the Baltimore Catechism. I ask, they answer, I correct the answer if it's wrong. Takes care of doctrine. Since most of you aren't Catholic, you might want to look at protestant versions- there is one for each formal denomination that you can use, or make your own.
Then, I want them to love the liturgy, and we are lucky in that department because Catholics have church every day. So I take them to mass every day that I am able, or if we can't make it I WATCH the mass with them on EWTN. Takes about 15 minutes.  If for some reason that isn't possible then I will remind them that mass is going on and that we weren't able to go. We talk about the Mass and we say a little prayer to receive Jesus in Spiritual Communion, asking Him to come into our hearts since we cannot be there.
In the afternoons, after naps, or before them, we read a story or watch a movie about the life of a particular Saint each day.
This all sounds like a lot, but it is really in teeny increments of just a few minutes, so it isn't all that tough at all. I'm also a firm believer that things are "caught, not taught." So I try to model a godly response to my own challenges throughout the day. Another thing we do is to remind them to offer up their pains and problems. You know: "It's OK, Annika, I know that that must really hurt. Let's give it to Jesus and ask Him to use it for the good of little Daisy who needs all the prayers and graces we can send her." That kind of thing.
Then, there is the family rosary. I want them to love to pray and meditate, but at this age-- it just isn't much fun for them. So instead of focusing on making them sit still and pray "properly," I pray with them and let them zone in and zone out as the Rosary goes by. What I do , though, is to walk them through each of the mysteries of the Rosary: "Ishod, can you imagine what it would be like to sit on the cart that carried Mary to Elizabeth's house. Her belly was not too big and round yet, but she was still uncomfortable for the journey! What do you think Elizabeth did when she saw her?" Etc etc. That seems to take most of the pain out of saying the family rosary. It also helps that we often say it around the family altar, (the picture above is our old one, it has since much evolved) which gives them plenty of visual imagery to look at (statues, icons, crucifixes, etc) to teach them what they are not tuned into verbally.
Otherwise, we say it last thing at night as they lie in their beds and I sit in the rocker with the baby, which makes it "sink in" better, I think. At night, I tuck them in and we do an examination of conscience. (google) Not a formal one, but we just ask each kid how they sinned that day and what they need to do better the next day. Then we say the Act of Contrition, the Our Father, and a Hail Mary. (Google again)
Then we sing some hymns-- traditional Catholic hymns first, some shabbat songs if it's Friday, and then a few modern/contemporary praise and worship songs. Sometimes at this time my kids have a question about God or they want to tell me something about Him. Future gift of teaching or prophecy? We'll see.
After that, I read to them from the Bible-- the day's Mass readings (which you can google or see here on my blog- Catholics go through the whole Bible every three years in a cycle by reading three daily readings of various lengths each day) and then I do our own version of the Liturgy of the Hours (google) by reading them various psalms which I actually pray over them, and then the Magnificat and the Canticle of Simeon (Google again) :P We close with the Glory Be and the St Michael's prayer. (You know what to do.) If I'm feeling adventurous or they are having a REALLY tough time, we say a Chaplet of Divine Mercy. (Google again)
As they drift off to sleep, I sometimes (once a week or so) tell them a guided meditation. For example: they visit the home of the Holy Family. Mary is inside making chocolate chip cookies and she tells them she's been waiting for them so they can spend time with her son, Jesus. Jesus sits down with them to eat cookies and talk about their day. He is a little boy their age. Joseph comes through with a word of wisdom for them. That kind of thing.
So, basically in our house, family devotions are an all day affair-- BUT it has been incredible to see them grow in knowledge and understanding of their faith. They REALLY love Jesus. What more could I ask for? What do you do for daily devotions with your children? I'd love to read and learn.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful! Your kids are very lucky to have a mom who is so engaged in their spiritual upbringing. I've just started praying the rosary every day (well, i haven't got it all memorized so I listen to it on mp3 and pray along) and I can already tell what a big difference even a few minutes of prayer can make in a day. It's so great that your kids are learning that truth as such a young age.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...