Monday, November 15, 2010

Mama Mondays: the Chaplet of St Brighid

This is a chaplet that I was once literally "struck" with inspiration to write down and pray. I have a huge devotion to St Brighid, and one day I was just thinking about her incredible life and suddenly felt swept into furious inspiration for writing this Chaplet-- it was actually comical since I literally dropped everything I was doing, grabbed a piece of paper, and started writing this down.
I have prayed it ever since and have always grown in insight and awareness of God's will for me when I have prayed it.I often use it as a novena (for non Catholics: a novena is a set of prayers you say for nine days for a specific intention. We do this because that is what Mary and the Apostles did --pray for nine consecutive days--in the upper room until the Holy Spirit descended upon them at Pentecost.)
I have not shared it until now because  I always worry there will be some person out there reading who thinks that a chaplet like this is a magic formula. So let me say right off the bat: this Chaplet is NOT indulgenced nor approved by the Holy Roman Church, as I wrote it myself. Nor is it a magic formula. It is simply a powerful way I have found to pray and connect with a saint who has much to offer us in the walk with Christ.
The Chaplet is about asking Brighid's intercession for the five main areas of our walk with God: We repent and turn from our sin, believe, detach from the world and meaningless pursuits, follow God, and fight for the Kingdom. She demonstrated each of these areas in amazing ways in her own life, so when I pray this chaplet I feel like my own life in Christ is entwined with hers-- a bond of sisterhood, if you will, or rather of spiritual motherhood, as she has much to teach me!!
By walking through the steps of her life and reflecting how mine could better show the virtues she gained by faith in Christ, I am transformed and renewed in my mind by an action of the Holy Spirit--- determined to better follow Christ. You might think of it as being around a really encouraging believer whose obvious love for God and service to His people changes lives. Only she lived in the early part of the 400s! Of course, for those in Christ there is no death- and her job above is as it was below: to pray and intercede for the salvation of our souls!
St Brighid is the patroness of babies, blacksmiths, boatmen, cattle, chicken farmers, children whose parents are not married, dairy maids, dairy workers, Douglas Lanarkshire, Scotland,  fugitives, infants, Ivrea, Turin, Italy, Leinster, Ireland, mariners, midwives, milk maids, newborn babies, nuns, poets, poultry farmers, printing presses, sailors, scholars, travelers, and watermen. Her feast day is February 1st.


Chaplet of St Brigid (said on a set of rosary beads)

  1. Begin with the Sign of the Cross + and the Apostle's Creed
  2. First bead : One Our Father (intentions of holy father, bishops, priests)
  3. Next 3 Beads, each: Hail Mary (One for Faith, one for hope, one for love- Brighid had a great devotion to the Mother of God)
  4. Next bead: Glory Be + Blessed be the Holy and undivided trinity, now and forever more.
  5. The “mysteries” are the five prayers to St Brigid. (See Below) beginning on each Our Father bead.
    1. REPENT
      1. Brighid, you were born into the bondage of slavery and set free. Defend us from the bondage of sin and lead us to repentance and true contrition. Come, Holy Spirit. Fill the hearts of your faithful. And kindle in them the fire of your love.
    2. BELIEVE
      1. Brighid, you were a faithful disciple, walking in the footsteps of Saint Patrick, and his holy zeal for souls in Ireland inspired you to live out your faith in great power. Defend us from discouragement and disbelief, and lead us into faithfulness. Come, Holy Spirit...
    3. DETACH
      1. Brighid, you went so far as to disfigure your beautiful face to remove from your soul any undue attachments, and God favored you for it. Defend us from our idolatrous, wordly attachments and lead us to a life of penance and mortification. Come, Holy Spirit...
    4. FOLLOW
      1. Brighid, you were faithful to your vocation, whether through milking cows or opening convents. Defend us from anxiety and frustration and lead us to a life-long commitment to our Calling. Come, Holy Spirit...
    5. FIGHT
      1. Brighid, by the power of God you battled evil spirits and through you a Pagan nation became a beacon of light to the world. Defend us from demonic forces and lead us to a life of prayer and intercession. Come, Holy Spirit...

  1. Say the “Come Holy Spirit” on each of the “Hail Mary” beads in the decade.
  2. When finished, Say : + Blessed be the Holy and undivided Trinity, now and forever more.”
  3. First hail Mary bead: Save us by your holy name, Jesus.
  4. Second Hail Mary bead: Keep us in your sacred heart, Jesus.
  5. Third Hail Mary bead: Meet us in the Blessed Sacrament, Jesus.
  6. End with: All the angels and saints, defend us in battle, and deliver us with God's mighty strength from the enemy. Saint Brighid, Mary of Gael, pray for us. + Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I just prayed this chaplet, the first chaplet I've prayed in ages, too. You are an inspiration!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so grateful someone else enjoyed it-- it has really been the source of many graces for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Just to let you know I linked to your novena in my St Brigid post this year
    http://cherishedheartsathome.blogspot.com/2011/02/feast-day-plans-for-st-brigid-of.html
    God bless
    Gae

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you did because now I've discovered your wonderful blog!! What a gift. Thank you and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...