Friday, December 14, 2007

Some thoughts on family

I've been meditating a ton lately on what love looks like in a family. It seems I had it all wrong, because it wasn't in maintaining a perfectly clean house, etc, which makes ME feel good and feel like I'm giving to my family, but in ENJOYING them. Which is totally different.

There are a few families I know which genuinely enjoy each other, and that radiates into their lives and the lives of the people around them.

My ex boyfriend, James, was a Swedish Australian expat living in France with me when I was in Grenoble for my last year of high school. In his family, the mom was a jehova's witness, she raised the kids that way but only one of them was really "practicing" her faith, and the dad was an agnostic scientist...as different as night and day.
Anyways, they were really a fun bunch. I RELISHED spending time with them (and I was over there day in and day out) because, as a family, they had FUN together and did a ton of ridiculous activities. the girls put on plays, dances, etc. They dressed up with their mom. They threw incredible parties and just genuinely loved life. And though they loved God and were reverent, the home attitude was never doom and gloom... it was just joyful!

My friend Shep. His family USED to be pastors.... and then stopped. He had a small family but one that was totally fun to be in. I loved spending time with them and tried to as much as I could. There was love that radiated in that house--- and they also did silly things together, like have a shep family band that performed at events! I LOVED attending events with them because I knew we'd always have a laugh, and his parents seemed genuinely interested in what was going on with the kids. His family has changed since, but I believe there is a root of love with them that will never fade-- it was so evident to people like me who came from a place where simple pleasures weren't necessarily celebrated.

The Rasmussens are a local couple here at Manna. They run a missionary organization. Their daugther and her husband are people we just love. The few times we've had dinner in their home, we were IMMEDIATELY treated like family. And I enjoyed myself tremendously, experiencing what it's like to be welcomed with FAMILIAL hospitality in the homes of the brethren. Not just "hoity toity" hospitality, but genuinely welcoming you--- asking you to help chop garlic for dinner or making sure you take your shoes off when you sit on the couch.

So what do all these families have in common? Enjoyment. (notice the word "joy" in there. They genuinely cared about each other.

In my own life, I may not care about the latest knife wayne is designing or the latest Strawberry Shortcake caper Annika is crazy about.... but taking the time to celebraye these things with the ones we love is where enjoyment comes in. Its crystal clear now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Barbie, I just wanted to jump in here and say,"Hi." I found your blog through Ravelry (I'm Redhead Mama) and wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you. Congratulations on the birth of your little boy.
    My parents live right outside Fayetteville, in White Oak. It's a really teeny, if you blink, you miss it, kind of town. My cousin has lived in Fayetteville forever.
    I figured I'd finally introduce myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...