Thursday, December 13, 2007

new developments, shifting gears

SO, I made a list last night while feeling sorry for myself (yes, I'm ridiculous) of ways that I can respond to the top ten things that drive me into either raging fury or total misery pretty regularly in this house. I did this because I wanted to press forward in my quest to appreciate things where they are at and not get carried away with "The Vision," because as Wayne loves to quote Jesus saying: "Sufficient for today is it's own trouble," and "why do you worry about tomorrow, what you will eat and what you will wear?" (If you really meditate on Jesus' words here, you will find that humans have it all wrong 99 percent of the time. How can we trust our Savior to provide if we don't trust Him to provide? :P)

Anyways, here it is:

1. I haven't had a nap, no one cares, and I'm not going to get one, even though I got less than four hours sleep last night.

RESPONSE: My usual response is to get extra cranky and yell at Wayne that he's inconsiderate. This prompts him to try to make things better but failing miserably because I have specific desires and a deep rooted belief that he can't do anything right. My NEW response is to make a strong cup of coffee and see what tasks can fall off the "To DO" list until tomorrow so that I can vegetate a bit and relax in the living room with the kids and Wayne...and SMILE.

2. I haven't had a shower in four days, no one cares, and I'm not going to be able to have one anytime in the forseeable future.

RESPONSE: My usual response is to burst into tears when I look in the mirror. Instead I'm going to relax, take a cue from the army and use baby wipes and "wash my hot spots" (haha, I love those drill sergeants!) and then cover my hair, like I'm supposed to. It's a perfect excuse for covering even though Wayne doesn't like it... hehe.

3. There is a mess all over the house and I can't stand it.

RESPONSE: usually I rant and rave while I hurriedly pick up after everyone and possibly throw them murderous looks. No shoe, paper, or set of keys stays more than five seconds unnoticed outside it's home in my living room. I pick things up IMMEDIATELY because I believe in order.
Instead, I'm going to remember that "clean" is more important than "order," and only pick up at the END of the morning and the END of the day instead of constantly flipping out everytime one thing is out of place.

4. Wayne and/or the kids are rowdy and loud when I want peace and quiet.

RESPONSE: normally I try calmly saying I need space but that never works because they just get in my face and try to get me to "join in the "fun."" Finally I snap and holler at everyone to "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY."
Instead, I will go for a walk or go to the bathroom and spend a few minutes of quiet time on my own before going back in to the chaos.

5. The Kids are driving me nuts.

RESPONSE: Usually this occurs when I'm trying to do something else. Instead, I will stop what I'm doing immediately, (ie, hang up the phone, get off the computer, put down the knitting needles, put away the yoga mat, put down the Bible, take off the apron, put down the broom, or whatever the case may be) and listen to my kids. What do they need? How can I direct their energy into something productive. What are they telling me that I'm not paying attention to?

6. I need something done that never gets done because Wayne forgets and I don't have a car to go run errands.

RESPONSE: Usually I nag him about it until he explodes, freaks out, goes and gets it without asking what type, brand, etc, guesses, and then gets mad when it's the wrong kind. Instead I will, once a week, tape a list of these things to his steering wheel before he goes to work. That way he can't forget or get the wrong thing.

7. Nothing is going my way and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

RESPONSE: I'm just going to pray that God notices and go with the current program, whatever happens to be going on at the moment that I have to do. And I will smile through it... how often I forget that EVEN WITHOUT A WORD my husband knows what type of mood I'm in by the way I carry myself, which can be just as much of a sin as nagging him.

AND why, you may ask? Because the Word says:

"Yes, all of you be submissive to one another and be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, casting all your cares upon him, for HE cares for you!" (1 Peter 5:5-8)

So glad we got that out of the way.


In other news, which is quite interesting, Wayne and I have begun to pray about missions opportunities in the UK. We are pretty heartbroken for Europe and the Church in general over there and are, as you know, excited to be a part of God's Kingdom building in a place that has such a rich Christian heritage. Funnily enough, we began praying through the country and were led to Newcastle, which I know next to nothing about, having spent all my Brit holiday time in the south. Turns out Newcastle / Gateshead is super cool, full of hungry students, and has an amazing history.
THEN we found out that there is a great need for church planting and assistance there, in particular with a church that -- here's the haha-- has identical DNA to Manna's! Ever wary of the financial aspect, I looked into jobs in the area and discovered that Newcastle holds one of the UK's only CROSSFIT affiliates, which is the gym my hubby works for. THEN I looked further into it and discovered Lo and behold, we just might be onto something. We've committed to praying about it more as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...