Friday, October 12, 2007

The deadly D

The deadly D

When I was in Army Basic training, we did this thing every night where we all lined up with full canteens, heard the end of the day announcements, and force-hydrated ourselves by finishing an entire canteen of water ASAP, proving it was empty by holding it over our heads. We called it "hydration formation."
Once I was out, I still did this every night, as a habit, because it honestly made me feel better, sleep better, etc.

Last night I had a 103 fever. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong. I had had a scratchy throat the day previous and taken some zinc tablets, but that's about it. No symptoms, signs, or anything to let me know what this fever was all about. Along with it I had a smashing, horrible migraine and the worst chills... I was totally freezing.

Anyways, I had a doctor's appt this morning at 8. I didn't want to go because I felt so awful but I thought it wise to do it anyways. I was supposed to get the glucose test today, so I had to fast before the appointment from food AND drink. Which I did.
Anyways, I got there today, did my urine sample, and yeah, turns out I was super dehydrated! I had to go get an IV and everything.

I thought back on the last day's worth of hydrating and realized I had drank about 5 small glasses of water.
So yeah, be aware: dehydration really happens-- and when you least expect it!!

Anyways, that's why 'm not around right now. I'm too sleepy and feel awful. I'll be back when I'm back on my feet. :) (it may be tomorrow if I can get enough fluids.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...