Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A perfect morning

I had the wonderful opportunity to go to church this morning. The kids were wanting to go to the "parents morning out" nursery program, which I'm usually kind of iffy about... and I was really wanting to go to mass and then to coffee to meet with a friend. So I did-- and it was awesome!
In the nursery, the kids had tons of activities and games that taught them so much... which was a big change from the last time I had left her in this program! Annika even made a bird feeder (the classic pinecone/peanut butter/bird seed kind!) which she had to take home... incredible. I was very pleased and confident that had we stayed home she would have recieved the same sort of care.

Meanwhile, I was able to go to Holy Mass, and that, for me, is always a gift. I felt united with all Christians who were unable to assist at mass, for whatever reason God placed me with the hearts of the faithful from Gaza to China who are not able to enjoy the mass with the liberty that we have, and I was so thankful! The homily was perfect-- about embracing the suffering that comes our way, and little did I know that this homily would be the theme of that morning's coffee conversation anyways.
Today we celebrate the Feast day of St Angela, who was a third order franciscan. It's humbling to think of a third order religious becoming a saint-- this was a person just like me! And this, in turn, was a point that God emphasized later when I was walking out of mass and a Professed Carmelite I love dearly saw me coming and said: "Here is Carmelite Barbie!" Talk about humbling.

I was once again reminded that the call to sanctity is really the first and most important call we must get right. If we miss out on the specific details and plans of our lives according to God's will-- at least we have heard His long-term goal for us: Salvation and Sanctification. Holiness.

Later, as we sat enjoying coffee in one of our favorite little haunts, making friends and chatting with old friends, I was so strongly moved by the sense of community--- of loving the Jesus in each one of the precious women around me, that His presence just pervaded my every sense. I'm so thankful for mornings like these.
Now the kids are happily sleeping, worn out from the beautiful morning and thankful for their own growth, and I am able to reflect, and then rest, in the reality of God all around me. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...