Friday, February 29, 2008

Confess your sins to one another, that your prayers are not hindered

I told Selah I would share with her an examination of conscience, which is a Catholic rite observed daily and especially before the rite of reconciliation, or confession to a priest.

The idea behind confessing to a priest can seem creepy to nondenominational, charismatic believers. I have a friend who just can't deal with it. But my husband, again, suprised me by saying how cool he thought it was.

Once a week, you go to confession, observing a ritual which forces you to examine your conscience and see where you have missed the mark, then not only to say it out loud to someone else, which is hugely humbling, but to RECEIVE forgiveness and especially to make reparations where reparations are due. Wow. There's no accountability like a confessional booth that works so quickly and efficiently. You can go daily-- and should! Some people go monthly. Some people go yearly. But since you are asked not only to remember your sins but to NUMBER them--- wow. Imagine how intense of a process that could be if you went once a year. And the point, after all, is to give a GOOD confession--- one in which you truly express sorrow for your sin. Because repentance, of course, is a natural result of God's goodness, and must be partially founded in fear of the Lord. (in this case, just as I used to hide my cigarettes from my friend Liza, who discipled me, so I am tempted to hide certain sins from my priest, because both of them represent God to me.... a tangible expression of God's presence.)

During Lent, the Catholic Church also offers Penance services, fully expecting that as the faithful piously pray, fast, and abstain, meditating on the death of Christ, they will be moved even MORE towards reconciliation and godly sorrow for their sins. I have experienced this myself--- I've never had the desire to GO to confesssion before, now it's all I can think about at the end of the day.

The idea of absolution is foreign to most Protestants. After all, Jesus died for ALL our sins... and we ARE forgiven. No sooner have we sinned than we are forgiven, right? This is messy theology, because it means that the person who sins unrepentant is still worthy of heaven. Are they? Yes and no. Sanctification MUST take place.
During Freedom Weekend, as counselors, we are trained to teach people to do an emotional (read: touchy feely) "examination of conscience" and then to APPLY the blood of Jesus to the sins passed over and long forgotten by the mind. It is, in fact, the same rite--- only there is no priest present to pronounce absolution, only our own selves to declare that we are forgiven. This means that the next time we do it, we have no one to hold us accountable not to commit the same sins over and over again.... in fact, it makes it easier for us to ignore them. :)

So here is a sample "Examination of Conscience," based on the ten commandments, and by sharing this I hope you are moved to examine your own souls for stain where the blood of Jesus has not yet been applied, to nurture your relationship to Him who is able to forgive ALL our sins.

Do I try to remember God as I go about my day?
Have I carried out my every day duties out of love for Him?
Do I nourish my relationship with Him through regular prayer and scripture reading?
Am I growing in understanding my faith?
I God first in my life and thoughts?
Are there areas that I am holding back from Him-- secret parts that I don't want to expose to Him?
How am I doing with keeping the Sabbath Holy?
Have I attended Mass faithfully and reverently?
Have I rested from my usual work?
Have there been days where I exalted myself over my Lord?
Ways in which I have taken credit from Him for my gifts and talents?
Have I pursued unity in my relationships with the bretheren?
Have there been situations where my words, attitudes, and actions have fostered division?
Am I harboring anger, bitterness, resentment or hatred toward anyone?
Is there anyone I need to forgive or need to ask forgiveness of?
Have I made an effort to see and support the good in others, even those with whom I disagree?
Have I let myself get caught in destructive thought patterns?
Do I spend too much time on idle pursuits that distract me from my calling?
Am I vigilant about what images and thoughts I entertain?
Do I need to repent of any sins against mine or another's purity?
Have I opened myself up to the Occult in any way?
How have I taken up the call to form and educate my mind and use it in God's service?
Have I set my heart on acquiring money, status, or material things?
Have I shoplifted, cheated on my taxes, or stolen anything? Do I need to make restitution?
What is my attitude towards parents, teachers, employers, and all legitimate authority? Have I shown appropriate honor and respect?

These are just a starting off point. It's good to examine ALL areas of your life for where you may have failed your God. The priest then discusses with you patterns, some ways you might make restitution, some scripture you might study and memorize or some prayers you might pray, and prays with you. He then pronounces an absolution, letting you receive that forgiveneness which God, in His grace, has chosen to give you.

Once confession, counseling, and absolution has occured, then you make the act of contrition, saying:

"O my God,
I am heartily sorry for
having offended Thee,
and I detest all my sins,
because I dread the loss of heaven,
and the pains of hell;
but most of all because
they offend Thee, my God,
Who are all good and
deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve,
with the help of Thy grace,
to confess my sins,
to do penance,
and to amend my life. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...