Sunday, March 3, 2013

What should we use for writing prompts?

A dear friend asked her fellow homeschool moms and teachers this morning for some good writing prompts to help her son develop a strong writing ability, since he was so good at telling stories with pictures.

I know what she means... I'm constantly thinking that since my children can express their interest in a story through pictures, making what we call a narration map (see photo for one about Caligula and the Britons) as a segway to oral narration, that they should be able to compose on paper as well. As a writer, it's a skill I want them learning.

Charlotte Mason taught that Oral narration was the best possible preparation for written narration. In fact, she did not even begin written narration til much later, in 4th grade. And even then, she began it very gently.

I gave my friend the response I am posting below, and I thought it would be good to post it here as well, for the curious.

My CM response comes from this comment:

"In reply to MJ, my eldest is 10 and I do not use a formal writing program with her. If it makes any difference, I am a writer.
IMO, oral narration is an absolutely wonderful and sound foundation for writing. I've seen my children's storytelling skills improve with narration practice, and I know their spoken-language skills will translate into good writing skills later. And, I am convinced that reading good literature provides the taste and ear for good writing.
I focus on good books and oral narrations for our writing lessons in these early years. Telling an interesting story in a coherent way is much more important to me than knowing the parts of speech or writing a 3-point paragraph at the elementary age.
I also think that nature journals and making observations in nature and in daily life lead to good writing later. The ability to concentrate, notice details, make connections, know historical references...all the good things that are covered in the early years of a CM education that don't seem to have anything to do with writing will provide rich fodder for later writing.
It's okay, imo, to build the habits of observation and narration now in the early years with the confidence that these skills will lead to way to strong writing skills later. The technical lessons of writing will fall into place later when they are needed.
And it's also okay to introduce formal writing early if it suits you and your family. I respect other parents who use writing programs with elementary-age children, but I don't personally see the need for technical writing lessons at this age, unless the child is asking for them."

http://simplycharlottemason.com/scmforum/topic/confused-about-the-writing-in-scm

You can also try something Miss Mason did with older children. Around once a week she would give them a composition assignment on a book from which they had already narrated. This need not be difficult--'tell me something about the character of the oldest brother in Swallows and Amazons," or "describe a room in Laura Ingalls Wilder's house," or "tell me something you might have done if you lived in King Arthur's time." It could be oral.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/Narration.shtml

Hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...