Friday, September 30, 2011

One Big Girl

She lies there in my arms, looking up at me, her fat little hand holding my chin, eyes searching mine with a look between contentment and delight.
I breathe in.
How can this baby– this baby who isn’t really a baby anymore, be two already?
So many events race through my mind like a filmstrip come unreeled…. pregnant belly, sushi cravings, arguments over who did the dishes last, first kicks…… hands squeezed tight at the signs of first contractions, the serene agony of labor, the bliss of nursing her for the first time.
It all flashes through me as I hold her, wondering where time goes.
I see the look of horror that must have crossed my face when the nurses announced that I couldn’t bring her home. Long nights sitting alone in various hospital waiting rooms. Elation when we proudly wrapped her up in her car seat and heard the gratifying “click” that we knew meant we were on our way home.
I see first crawls, and first steps, and loooooong nights spent rocking her as she teethed or dealt with fevers from her illness....

Come and read the rest of this post on my Traces of Heaven blog at catholicdaily.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...