Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pre-lent


The kids had a brief lesson on lent today in which I tried to instill some sense of why we do what we do. I told them that at lent we were going to Stop doing some things which keep us from God and start doing other things which bring us to God.
My daughter piped up that she was going to give up chocolate like her nursery teacher. This was exactly the kind of thing I wanted to Address: we don't give something up because it benefits us but because it serves the purpose of making reparation, of denying the flesh, and of sacrificing ourselves for others.
For example, this year I am giving up complaining and whining, which I love to do. And every time I am wronged I plan on turning the other cheek. Every time. As for what positive steps I am going to take... I plan on doing an examination of conscience every night and saying all 20 mysteries of the rosary every day (phew!)
The most incredible lent I ever had I fasted from reading anything but the Bible and the Catechism. I expect this year to be similar.

So I asked my three year old what SHE could give up for lent. She told me she wanted to give up complaining also, and to stop pushing her little brother. I was amazed at her quick grasp of the idea... In particular when she then told me that her brother was too young to choose, so she would choose for him: he was going to stop waking up the baby. (hah!) she decided she was going to also pray one rosary with me each day.

May God bless you and yours in this season of preparation!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iTouch, forgive any mistakes :p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...