Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Language Arts Tips



In addition to doing 15 minutes of Latin 4x weekly  and 15 minutes of English Grammar 1x weekly, these are my  language arts plans for our daily lessons in any subject:

1. Prereading.

Parent does the reading. I highlight any vocabulary words, and define them on a paper if needed (for myself, so I can explain them. With older kids, I let them read the list I write out along with definitions IF THEY NEED TO/ WANT TO.)
I highlight new characters as they appear so I can introduce them. I come up with one discussion question per chapter to help me start a discussion if they don't have questions themselves.

2. Before we read/ before child reads:

Parent points out new characters, outlines the upcoming chapter, and introduces a few words from the vocabulary. Together, examine a map to point out new locations.

3. Child or parent reads the text.

Younger children narrate text piece by piece, Older children narrate orally after entire section has been read. Older than Year 4, Children narrate orally most texts, but will provide 3 assigned written narrations after reading entire text.

4. Parent leads discussion.


If there are any questions the child has, they should be answered at this point. If parent wants to draw out a point from the text, this can be discussed here.

5. Copywork.


The child selects a favorite word, sentence, then passage for copywork according to ability.
At first I copy it for them and they copy me, eventually they copy from the book directly. Yes, let them choose. They will surprise you and always choose the most amazing passages!

6. Dictation


At the end of the week I choose one of their copywork selections to use for prepared dictation.

I have been guilty of overthinking this in the past... of adding other programs, etc. They are making a lot of progress now that I keep it simple and don't add too much in.
During our "off school" months I am planning on switching it up with another element, like using more of Primary Language Lessons... but doing those BOTH in one day was really too much for us and slowed our progress.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck; hope your family does well with this.

    Welcome to the Catholic blog directory. I'd like to invite you to participate in Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of bloggers who gather weekly to share posts with each other. This week's host post is at http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2014/08/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_16.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...