Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saints on Saturdays-- Mary Magdalen at the Passion

Miryam of Magdala.

Today is Holy Saturday, and as I reflect on the life of Mary of Magdala, I am amazed by how many connections God gives me between my life and hers. Though the connections are not made in the scriptures themselves, the Church has traditionally referred to as "the adulterous woman," of scripture -- she is known for her repentant attitude towards sin.
Like her, I led a sinner's life, for many long years, and probably like many of you I one day had a profound opening of my eyes that showed me that Jesus was indeed LORD. Like her, I repented, was delivered of demons, and gave up everything to follow Him. Like her, I have been brought to life in prayer and in His presence and like her, I have wept and annointed His feet to honor Him. Like her, I have also experienced the darkness of the Cross, the shadow of suffering, and the pain of loss, but like her, I can see with eyes of faith (may it always be so, Lord!) that there is great power in the Cross. Like her, I am called to sanctification of my daily duty. She came to annoint His body with oil even though she could have been disappointed that He had died... she knew what she was to do, and did it. Her calling was not lofty and great... she was just a woman who loved and followed him. She was also a woman who knew to stop and listen to Him, to obey His every word.
Like her, His love saved me both in eternity and in the here and now. Like her, following Him led  me to places I'd never dreamed of living and things I never dreamed of doing. Like her, I found that God's will and timing is always perfect.
And like her, my experience of Christ has led me to preach and to be alone, in many ways, with Him, depending solely on Him to "finish the race." After Our Blessed Mother, Mary Magdalen is the single most inspiring woman in the Bible to me, and one of my absolute favorite saints.

Today, if you are able to watch Mel Gibson's movie The Passion, pay special attention to the life of Mary Magdalen as she lovingly followed and served both Our Lord and Our Lady, remaining close to them in every step of her life. In her example is the perfect example for every Catholic woman and man in the world.... a contemplative life of action with deep love.

St Miryam of Magdala, Ora pro Nobis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...