Sunday, February 13, 2011

On Judaizing Catholicism.

Hey!

Sorry for this intrusion, but I am just fascinated with so much of the material you post/blog about. A few weeks ago you were posting about the Jewish roots of the RCC (something I've always been big into as I was messianic at one point) and I was curious as to how/if you incorporate any jewish traditions into your spiritual life/that of your family's? I've been looking into Saint Edith Stein online, and she's been drawing me back to this topic in a way, as it's been a whileeeee since I've practiced "Judaism" as I used to (and in a way I miss it, it's like a spiritual thirst!) 

I went to a chabad shabbat service this friday and was constantly thinking of the experience in terms of its meaning in the fulfillment of Yeshua. So yeah, just curious as to where you draw the line as spiritually distracting and what aspects you derive much fruit from in terms of our Jewish roots!

Blessings always :)
N------i



I get a lot of emails asking questions like this based on things I post in facebook, twitter, or on my blog so I thought I would take a moment to respond somewhere where everyone can read it.



I was a messianic at one point too, although not affiliated with the movement by the same name. Rather, I was a messianic by a move of the holy spirit in my life, and all that that entailed was to make an effort to live the gospel through the eyes of a person who understood that Torah was the root and core of what the Gospel's relevance was, and as a person who understood the distinct "set apart"ness that God has for His people and what that entails. I did NOT go to a messianic synagogue or anything like that, and I was never affiliated with other messianic jews, even though I chose to put "messianic" on my dog tags when I got to basic training. Part of that was a personal exploration of my own identity. But most of it, I believe, was a genuine move of the Holy Spirit in my life to help me to see and understand that Jesus Christ really is the TRUE messiah and savior of the world.

All that "jewishness" was CRAAAZY relevant for me in my conversion process because I realized just how important both "jewishness" and "christian-ness" was. Like, ridiculously important-- there is such a delicate balance between the two. Judaism formed Christianity. Christianity completes Judaism. Therefore in order to be an "authentic" or "true" Christian, we must necessarily retain both some elements and some culture of biblical Judaism.
I think it was Pope Benedict XVI who said: "One cannot encounter Christ without encountering Judaism." The entire structure of the Catholic Church is based on biblical Judaism. We are the true fulfillment, in the Messiah, Yeshua, of God's plan for the earth. If you are a protestant, and reading this, you're probably gasping for air right about now.... but read on to see what I mean when I say that.

I guess the first thing to keep in mind with the question of "how much is too much" is to understand the GLORY of the Church as she is today. God's establishment of the Church and his system of governance of it is exactly the way He intended it to be.
The value of obedience is largely misunderstood in the world at large. In obedience to the Church lies all we need for salvation and sanctification. The Church is exactly as she should be, and is constantly being formed towards perfection.

There is a LOT of talk today, especially in messianic jewish circles, about the tension that existed (and still exist, in some ways) between the Catholic Church and the Jewish People/Religion. Messianics use this as leverage to claim that the Catholic Church is an evil deception and they are the "TRUE" Church. (Because it becomes increasingly evident, theologically, to ANY Christian who studies the Bible that Judaism has a very significant role to play in Salvation History.)

Messianics aren't all wrong. There IS and has been a tension present between Christians and Jews at all times. These tensions are for a reason. Catholicism is FULFILLED Judaism, which inherently applies that there is something that lacks in Judaism. And there is! That "something" is Jesus, the source and foundation of our Catholic faith. Without Jesus, our faith is incomplete, we are only seeing part of the picture, and a rejection of Him when we KNOW Him and have everything at our disposal to glorify and honor Him is  without a doubt a portion of the "unforgiveable sin" described in scripture as "Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit."

To know Jesus and love Him, and yet to turn away from Him because of the desires of our hearts to identify with Jews? This is nothing less than blasphemy. Every action of our bodies, minds and souls should be directed at him, which is why we it is not good enough for us who love judaism to be "just jews," as great and wonderful and inspiring and amazing being Jewish actually IS. This is because Christ is the source and foundation of our faith.

The form of the Church, her governance, her liturgy, and her teachings, exist the way they do for a reason. There are endless theological and mystical connections to be made in observing the incredible bonds between these things, revealed to us in the deposit of faith which includes the Holy Scriptures and Holy Tradition. To sit through a mass as an observer can be confusing. But to study the ceremonies and rites outlined in scripture as they were presented to God's people, the Jews, and then to observe the mass through the lens of judaism and salvation history---it is breathtaking! It is the reason bible-believing protestants convert every single day!

In liturgy especially, our "completed jewishness" is made even visibly evident. Therefore, a person does well to know and study biblical (I keep stressing the word biblical, and I'll explain why in a moment) Judaism as a Catholic Christian and even as a protestant Christian, for it can only strengthen one's faith.

The tension I described, however, comes when the Church apprehends the fleshly tendencies of our broken world to "JUDAIZE" the faith more than it already is.  There are many reasons, vast and varied why people do this. Some out of attachment to traditions and objects and "things we do." Others out of attachment to people and culture and identity. I'm as guilty as the next person of these things.... Mea Culpa. If I knew how to "leave everything behind" for my Jesus, whom I love above all things, I would have no more use for this pilgrimmage on earth and God would soon call me home to heaven. I DO struggle with over-judaizing the Christian faith and always have. However, no sooner do I catch myself doing that when God tends to slap me right back to reality by reminding me of two things--- the jewish REJECTION of messiah Yeshua and the Gentile ACCEPTANCE of messiah Yeshua.

This tension is right and proper. When we are reprehended for acting/being/living/speaking/etc "too jewish," we are gently being reminded that CHRIST must remain the focal point. For without the messiah, we are nothing, and our religion, whether jewish or Christian, is meaningless. There are those who say that the Catholic Church has been unfair towards Jews and Judaism. I disagree. The threat of Judaizers, those who wanted ALL nations to live, act, and observe those things prepared for the Jewish people alone, was very real. Kept unchecked, it would have meant certain death to the Christian religion, and God knows this.

Gentiles needed the Jews to illumine their path.... without them they would have never seen the truth. But Gentiles did not need to BE Jews. They needed to be followers of the Jewish Messiah, the light of the WORLD, not just the Jews, who for reasons of spiritual deception (this is where the talmud comes in) were a threat. The threat of Judaizers was not restricted to the biblical times of Christ. We still have this threat today-- and their error is visibly present in Messianic Jews today, who, in their zeal to incorporate all elements of Judaism into their faith in Christ miss the point that Christ is the point, to a degree that becomes more evident as time goes by and their theological structure becomes more clearly and officially defined. (for example, modern messianic theologians are now doing things like rejecting the doctrine of the trinity.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that Judaism as it exists today is only a shadow of a shadow of the BIBLICAL religion it was intended to be. The Talmud is the core of modern judaism, even the most orthodox of orthodox judaism, and the Talmud, at it's root, is of the devil. In fact, the entire system of freemasonry, and many other satanic sects and occult groups, is based on talmudic principles. Among other choice things, the talmud states that Jesus Christ was illegitimate (based on the Blessed Virgin Mary's adulterous affair) and was conceived during menstruation (rendering him unclean), was foolish and insane, a conjurer and magician, and simultaneously an idol and idolater. Christians are called "dung" in the Talmud, fornicators and idolaters, murders and magicians, differing only in form from beasts. Christians are also called followers of the devil and unclean, and are to be harmed both indirectly and directly.  (for more information, you can start here:)

When John Chrysostom, a Catholic Saint and Doctor of the Church, who was famous for his incredible and accurate preaching, called "golden tongued," and whose TONGUE remains incorruptible to this day, said: " The festivals of the pitiful and miserable Jews are soon to march upon us one after the other and in quick succession: the feast of Trumpets, the feast of Tabernacles, the fasts. There are many in our ranks who say they think as we do. Yet some of these are going to watch the festivals and others will join the Jews in keeping their feasts and observing their fasts. I wish to drive this perverse custom from the Church right now. My homilies against the Anomians can be put off to another time, and the postponement would cause no harm. But now that the Jewish festivals are close by and at the very door, if I should fail to cure those who are sick with the Judaizing disease. I am afraid that, because of their ill-suited association and deep ignorance, some Christians may partake in the Jews' transgressions; once they have done so, I fear my homilies on these transgressions will be in vain. For if they hear no word from me today, they will then join the Jews in their fasts; once they have committed this sin it will be useless for me to apply the remedy."
Which is explained more clearly when he said: "But do not be surprised that I called the Jews pitiable. They really are pitiable and miserable. When so many blessings from heaven came into their hands, they thrust them aside and were at great pains to reject them. The morning Sun of Justice arose for them, but they thrust aside its rays and still sit in darkness. We, who were nurtured by darkness, drew the light to ourselves and were freed from the gloom of their error. They were the branches of that holy root, but those branches were broken. We had no share in the root, but we did reap the fruit of godliness. From their childhood they read the prophets, but they crucified him whom the prophets had foretold. We did not hear the divine prophecies but we did worship him of whom they prophesied. And so they are pitiful because they rejected the blessings which were sent to them, while others seized hold of these blessing and drew them to themselves. Although those Jews had been called to the adoption of sons, they fell to kinship with dogs; we who were dogs received the strength, through God's grace, to put aside the irrational nature which was ours and to rise to the honor of sons. How do I prove this? Christ said: "It is no fair to take the children's bread and to cast it to the dogs". Christ was speaking to the Canaanite woman when He called the Jews children and the Gentiles dogs."


His concern is right on....and what the people of the day absolutely needed to hear. Over time, in the population, perhaps, unworthy and obstinate as we are to understand lofty theological concepts AND live them in a manner that pleases God, went too far in the other direction, something which has been noted by our present Church leaders and is being remedied today. Balance must be achieved. We must both honor the system and way by which God revealed himself to the world, and not idolize it or hold it in a higher position than it has been given. The system is not God. God is God.

Our end is attachment to God and detachment from the world, our means is the grace of attachment to God and detachment from the world. We can not be simultaneously attached to something (in this case, Judaic traditions/practices, etc) and detached from them. Judaism is not a sacramental religion. It is a religion of sacred tradition which foreshadows a sacramental religion. Attachments to the Sacraments of the Catholic Church, however, ARE attachment to God. The Holy Eucharist IS Jesus Himself, body, blood, soul and divinity.

What does this mean? It means that many people, myself included, can find themselves guilty of idolatry with regards to means and methods God has set in place. We aren't worshipping Golden Calves, we are worshipping the Ark of the Covenant, the people who carried it, and the ceremonies in the temple. We are worshipping the prayers God gave us instead of God Himself. We are worshipping still a creation rather than the creator. And it has to stop. As a mother, I've been in places before where I was addicted to prayer and Bible study. This is wonderful and a worthy pursuit, no doubt. but I was guilty of idolatry in it, and DEEPLY guilty of neglecting my duties in life through it, and this is because God has planned for me that I will be sanctified not only through the study of His Word and a relationship with Him but through mortification, the putting to death of my flesh through work and other not-so-pleasurable endeavors. Judaizing is like that-- it is good that we love jews and jewishness. But it is harmful that we love them so MUCH that we ignore something even MORE important. But why is it SO detrimental?

Most Christians today wax poetic (I'm one of them) about the nation of Israel and the protection and love God has shown the Jewish people. But let us never forget the great harm the Jewish nation and people have done for the cause of Christ. Let us not forget, for example, that when Jews who believe in Jesus go to make Aliyah and live in the place that is rightful theirs, they must sign a paper that claims they do not believe in Jesus. To preach the gospel of Jesus Christ is both illegal and infuriating to the authorities in the State of Israel. As hard as it is for some of us to face, there have been GRAVE injustices against the palestinian arab people. Further, unusually vehement disdain exists among today's jewish people for the person of Jesus Christ and his followers.

Even more frightening, perhaps, is the extraordinary manner in which Satan is using God's chosen people to demolish and destroy society and our culture. It is a well known fact that Hollywood, the music industry,the media and the television industry, and the fine arts, all of which are perpetually pouring satanic ideas and images into the minds of willing listeners under the guise of "entertainment," are run in the vast majority by jewish persons. This is not an accident, nor is it a statement about judaism. It is simply a sign pointing to the reality of God's Gospel, to the spiritual reality around us. Throughout history, we find that frequently, some of the worlds' most unsavory characters have been born of Jewish blood. Also, in the world of big money and big corporations (and nothing smells corruption and immorality like big money, we know) many, many Jewish names and faces pop up. And lastly, one need only look at the face of the new "moral" state of the world--- with regards to politics and theology, there were liberal jews before there were liberal Christians, and that is a sign we must be aware of as well.

All this, of course, not to malign Israel or the jewish people in any way. The Jews are our brothers, our friends, and our common inheritors in the love of God. Insofar as I have here shown only a few examples of ways in which we must be careful not to "overdo" our enthusiasm about all things jewish, I will also point out that some of God's brightest lights have been of Jewish blood. Our Lord Jesus Christ, His Blessed Mother and Ours, Mariam, and His most chaste and pure Foster Father Yosef, of course, come to mind. But what about some of our most incredibly gifted saints.... John of the Cross, and Teresa of Avila? St Edith Stein? Certainly the Church herself has been quilted from the moral and ceremonial laws of the jews and pieces of truth present in the gentile nations, a masterpiece that only God would have the time, foresight and patience to create, one which I give him glory and credit for daily. I love the Roman Catholic Church, and I see in her all truth, all beauty, all goodness, all hope for peace in the world. This is how I know she comes from God.

So what does all of that mean, practically speaking? How would YOU answer the email questions above?
In my own family it has been a constant struggle. A healthy struggle! I met my husband in basic training. We were in the same unit, but I paid very little attention to him until I noticed that he too attended the Jewish services instead of Christian services, even though I knew he was a Christian. I formerly kept a kosher home and observed Shabbat and the other feasts of Israel. of course, marrying a Southerner meant that my life changed in many ways  when "two became one," but probably most in the style of life I had and in my religious observances. Southerners like pork, for example. I can tell you that just the other day I was skyping with a dear friend and like-minded thinker about all things pork (ew) when my husband came gleefully in waving a spoonful of PORK BRAINS in front of my webcam and at my face for me to try. I was horrified, but you know, dutifully gave it a try. I'm praying I didn't get a parasite. :P BUT I digress...... the point is that my husband and I don't really see eye-to-eye on the Jewish issue. Whereas I find it important to persist in creating a specifically HEBREW christian culture around my kids, for many reasons of which the primary one is that the Holy Family were observant jews and I model my family life around theirs. He, on the other hand, views the Jewish thing as a step on his way to Catholicism and leaves it at that. Whereas I find (and have found my whole adult life) great peace and comfort in lighting the shabbat candles, he sees it as an unnecessary "Addition" to an already full wealth of ever-meaningful family traditions we already have. I have often sought out fellowship with like minded Hebrew Catholics, but been deterred by the fact that many of them see the Talmud as an equally interesting and viable collection of works which they don't mind assimilating into their own family cultures.

The Church's official position is that she IS the fulfillment of Judaism. St Edith Stein echoed this sentiment by saying at her conversion from judaism to Catholicism: "I finally feel jewish again." It follows, then, that the best way to incorporate judaism into your family life is to be the best Catholic you possibly can be. I didn't come to this conclusion on my own-- I was forced into it by my husband's constant blocking of any of my attempts to "judaize" our Catholic practices. (incidentally, he is right to do so. The Catholic Church recommends participation in jewish life insofar as it does not become a pathway out of the Church but rather as a means of seeing the richness and fullness of the Catholic faith. In the same way, it recommends that when we do Jewish things, such as hold or attend a Passover Seder, for example, we do so according to the Jewish liturgy and NOT adding our own "Catholic"-isms to it and changing it however we see fit. Again, for good reason.)

In doing so, you will see (as I have) that what the Church teaches is true-- we really are the fulfillment of Judaism. I have rambled enough here and don't need to go into detail, but let's just give a couple of examples. I've blogged before about how Christ is the fulfillment of all the jewish feasts (and will be, of course, at his second coming-- like the feast of trumpets) But how about how similar observant Catholic and Jewish culture can be? What's more Jewish than mother guilt? And what other culture has mastered  the art of guilt? Yep, Catholics. What else do Jews and Catholics have in common? How about a deep rooted belief in action to heal the world? How about liturgy, prayer styles, and prayer books? How about headcovering? How about holy water fonts at the entrance to our homes, just as jews have mesuzahs at the entrance of their homes? How about a literary tradition and a culture of "study," particularly bible study? We are a people of the book, both of us. How about a home life that sanctifies the world? How about a traditional fascination with home-cooked food? How about a Sabbath that starts and ends at Sundown with strict rules of observance? A liturgical calendar? Blessings after meals? An entire  culture of blessing and sanctifying the world around us? A culture where tradition and family are the core and bulk of who we are?

The deeper we think, the deeper it goes. For example, Jews often talk about the feminine nature of Shabbat, and how it is like welcoming another soul to be with us during that special time. Could it be that Catholics, who by revelation of the Virgin Mary set aside our Saturdays as a special way to honor her and spend time with her, knowing she will always lead us to her Son,  enjoying what's called the "Sabbatine privilege." Why did God choose a BLUE thread for the tzit tzit? Could it be because it is in seeing the Virgin Mary, whose color has always been blue, that we are reminded of God's commandments? Is this why wearing the Miraculous Medal is so miraculous for conversion? I could go on forever.

Needless to say that while all this is true, some of you may, like me, still feel a "tug" to observe the feasts of the biblical year in addition to our Catholic ones. You may feel called to devotion to a particular saint which does not get much attention from Catholicism in itself and yet has been affirmed as a saint by the Church (such as our Old Testament heroes.) You may feel drawn to a certain observance or practice that is more "Jewish" in nature than "Catholic." And to that I say.... pray. Pray and ask God to reveal areas in your heart that are still walking in confusion or darkness, first. There could be any number of reasons why this impulse towards judaism might be a perfectly legitimate gift from the Holy Spirit.... for example, because you live in a Jewish community and will be respected and befriended more easily and therefore better able to evangelize (although, as we have said, it is not so much necessary to evangelize Jews OUT of Judaism as it is to get them to truly LIVE their jewish faith, by which they will be saved. This statement is perplexing to many, but true on many levels and believed and taught by the Church, as well as being vastly misunderstood. Hint: it does NOT mean that they don't need Jesus to be saved.) Another reason might be because you actually ARE Jewish, that somewhere in your blood and genetic makeup jews are your people. This might be known to you, in which case you desire to celebrate that in order to identify with other Hebrews, and that's perfectly fine. Or perhaps it is unknown to you, and simply a quiet desire to *connect* with other Hebrews, again, which is perfectly fine.
On the other hand, there could be many reasons why this impulse is not an acceptable offering of worship to Our Lord. Perhaps because it has become a stumbling block, keeping you from Jesus, or because through it you are being exposed to Talmudic teachings or other occult phenomena which can harm your soul. Because your SOUL is at stake here, not Jesus Christ.

Is it ok to observe Pesach or Sukkot, or to Light Shabbat Candles, or to read the weekly Torah portion, or to avoid work on Saturdays? Is it ok to visit services at synagogue? To hang a mezusah on our door? To have a menorah in the house or bake challah? To recite the rosary in Hebrew or send your kids to Hebrew school? Sure, I would say, as long as it's ok with the authorities that be over your head (husband, parents, whatever) and AFTER you have examined, REALLY examined the reasons behind that desire. Obedience is the path to sanctification, and if you are really convinced in your heart that these things are good and right, obeying the powers that be around you is FAR more important to God than lighting a couple of candles or saying a certain prayer.
In my experience, the spiritual benefit to a person who is 100% committed to Christ of choosing a hebrew life is profound. However, I would caution you in two ways:

First, the heart of the Catholic (and Hebrew) religion is lived out in the HOME. Let your home silently point to your faith in Christ and in His Church. Do not neglect to make the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary the CENTER of your family life. enthrone them in your homes. People should enter your house and KNOW they are in a Catholic home... possibly wondering why the Votive Candles with Hebrew letters are even there on the mantle and what in the heck your beautiful feast day spread is doing with the addition of a kiddush cup and a challah board. :) But let it be a CATHOLIC home.

Second, in your association with and your relations with the Jewish community, be upfront about who you are: you are not considering conversion to judaism, but neither are you there to evangelize jews. You are simply a person who sees a great value in biblical Judaism and seeks to affirm that great value. By all means, celebrate life, feast and fast with the jews around you (again, if you are allowed to do so under obedience) but do not seek to "fit in" so much that you do not slightly "stand out." Take to heart the Catholic Church's teachings to, when participating in a rite or ritual that belongs to the jews, LEAVE it to the jews and not transform it to your own liking or add to it to make it more complete. Your Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church already has a liturgy and a Roman ritual and a way of doing things that is, in itself, ALL that you need for sanctification. The whole point of our participation in Jewish liturgy is that it is supposed to remind us of Christ, of the lack and need and "hole in the heart of" Judaism without Messiah. Therefore be who you are-- a daughter or son of the Roman Catholic Church, the Church founded on and by Messiah, a completed jew. But have a quiet, vibrant faith which is not founded on words but actions, the chief of which should be love for your neighbor and respect for his human dignity, in which free will reigns supreme.

The sweet soul who wrote me the email at the top of this blog is so much like me! I hope that in her life, as in mine, the resounding joy of being a Catholic who sees, lives and understands the relevance of the Hebrew people, culture and religion in salvation history and in the eyes of the Most High God will be felt and cause waves in the world that will, when unified with the requests of Our Lady, especially at Fatima, help the cause of world peace. Amen!

I leave you with this analogy. As a Catholic, I have often blogged about how I am a "completed" protestant... all of the things I did and said I believed as a charismatic protestant are still present within me, but transformed from being OPPOSED to the Catholic Church (having once considered it an impediment to truth) to embracing it as THE fulfillment of all that I was seeking as a protestant. I MISS being in a worship environment where there was a strong current of faith and which lived and breathed Spirit-led prayer. I miss worshipping God with all my voice and strength. I miss vibrant preaching and on-fire, bible-breathed intercessory prayer. But guess what? All of those things are still mine as a Catholic, mine to practice, mine to participate in, and mine to share. What I cannot do is impose those things at Holy Mass, or during Adoration. I cannot interrupt the recitation of the Rosary. I cannot alter the liturgy of the hours to include them. They are no less a part of my faith experience, only some things are holier than others-- the Eucharist above all.

And so it is with Judaism. Catholicism completes what lacks in every religious experience. This is why it is the truth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...