Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A quick note: Is abortion biblical?

Recently an acquaintance posted an article she wanted me to read on my facebook page in a debate about abortion.
The article can be found here:

http://elroy.net/ehr/abortion.html


Because this guy seems to embody the kind of thinking that many people I know adopt when making abortion "ok" in their heads, I thought it would be good to issue a more public response.

My basic problem with it is this- he claims that disapproval of abortion is based on taking passages out of context. He then goes on to deconstruct them in a way that makes it obvious that he has no contextual biblical knowledge at all (he is simply widening the passage being considered and then taking THAT out of context.)
He follows that up by doing the exact thing he is harping on us about TO make his own argument that abortion is biblical- how can I take him seriously?
Further, his arrogance and rebellion against the Lordship of Christ shows in virtually every sentence.... But no where better than when he says that "most" Christians don't read the Bible for themselves. What an incredible claim to make.

The second thing is that even if someone DID feel that he had a point and that his argument held some weight, I would have to ask...What makes this guy more qualified than me or you or her to interpret the Bible correctly?
As a Catholic, I have 2000 years of unbroken apostolic succession from Christ Himself through Peter, the first human representative of the head of His Church on earth who have consistently held the same view on abortion, since before abortion was even "perfected" as a "procedure."
If interested, I would turn people to this link, which gives quotations from the writings of the earliest Christian Fathers about abortion: http://www.catholic.com/library/Abortion.asp

I would suggest a proper theological grounding by meditating on the Theology of the Body: http://www.theologyofthebody.net/...

And I would especially suggest that a person read Humanae Vitae, an encyclical written by Pope Paul VI which accurately predicted the demise of a society whose blatant immorality allows it to regulate birth.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PROLIFE/PPAULPRO.TXT

Among other things, he predicted that infidelity and moral decline would be rampant, that society would lose respect for the woman, instead objectifying her. Looking around today this is an obvious scenario on which I could write books. He predicted that there would be an abuse of power by the government, (hellooooooo, Obama and more importantly, hellooo third world countries where sterilization is handed out like candy without even an explanation) And he predicted that man would feel he had unlimited dominion over his own body (IVF, sterilization, etc). All of his prophecies were chillingly accurate.
You can read the full text of humanae vitae on the Vatican website:
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

If I were asked to provide ONE Bible verse to support my stance on Abortion, I would cite many of the verses he attempted to deconstruct in his article for the reason that they are contextually accurate representations of God's great CARE for human life, even from before conception, as He "knows us" and "has great plans for us" individually.

But I would choose Deuteronomy 30:19 as my "it" verse. It says :

"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So CHOOSE LIFE in order that you may live, you and your descendants."

When we say "Choose Life" we are speaking the Word of God, which is always God's will for our lives. You are right in that it's not at all something that I would use to form an argument that the bible is pro-or anti-abortion (remember, I don't believe that the Bible is "crystal clear" on the subject but rather that it requires careful consideration and correct interpretation-- this is why I have the magesterium.)

Instead, I like using this verse to explain my stance because it represents God's whole view of our existence and freewill.
He gave us the choice between a blessing and a curse, and we must choose life- goodness-holiness etc for eternal life.

In the context of abortion, I think this is particularly appropriate because God is so clear in His word that the conception of a child is a BLESSING and not a curse, that rather, barrenness is a curse. Thus we can conclude from a contextual (whole bible) reading of this passage that God gives us the opportunity to say YES to His blessings-- to choose life-- and thus to propogate a culture of Life.


And I would lastly leave you with the inscription on a sign I saw at the march, held by a beautiful girl in a wheelchair who clearly suffered from some sort of serious palsy. Her sign read: "God does not make mistakes. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...