Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Swan Song

Swans have been popping up everywhere I look for the last week... been thinking about them and about how a few old poems and songs with titles about swans seem to evoke something in me right now that I can't really describe but that seems to be moving me in a particular direction. Two of them below, in French and English... one an old Ani Di Franco song that profoundly affected me as a teenager and that revists me from time to time, and second an old poem I once studied in school in France that has the same effect on me. Enjoy!




Le Cygne
À Victor Hugo
I
Andromaque, je pense à vous! Ce petit fleuve,
Pauvre et triste miroir où jadis resplendit
L'immense majesté de vos douleurs de veuve,
Ce Simoïs menteur qui par vos pleurs grandit,
A fécondé soudain ma mémoire fertile,
Comme je traversais le nouveau Carrousel.
Le vieux Paris n'est plus (la forme d'une ville
Change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel);
Je ne vois qu'en esprit tout ce camp de baraques,
Ces tas de chapiteaux ébauchés et de fûts,
Les herbes, les gros blocs verdis par l'eau des flaques,
Et, brillant aux carreaux, le bric-à-brac confus.
Là s'étalait jadis une ménagerie;
Là je vis, un matin, à l'heure où sous les cieux
Froids et clairs le Travail s'éveille, où la voirie
Pousse un sombre ouragan dans l'air silencieux,
Un cygne qui s'était évadé de sa cage,
Et, de ses pieds palmés frottant le pavé sec,
Sur le sol raboteux traînait son blanc plumage.
Près d'un ruisseau sans eau la bête ouvrant le bec
Baignait nerveusement ses ailes dans la poudre,
Et disait, le coeur plein de son beau lac natal:
«Eau, quand donc pleuvras-tu? quand tonneras-tu, foudre?»
Je vois ce malheureux, mythe étrange et fatal,
Vers le ciel quelquefois, comme l'homme d'Ovide,
Vers le ciel ironique et cruellement bleu,
Sur son cou convulsif tendant sa tête avide
Comme s'il adressait des reproches à Dieu!
II
Paris change! mais rien dans ma mélancolie
N'a bougé! palais neufs, échafaudages, blocs,
Vieux faubourgs, tout pour moi devient allégorie
Et mes chers souvenirs sont plus lourds que des rocs.
Aussi devant ce Louvre une image m'opprime:
Je pense à mon grand cygne, avec ses gestes fous,
Comme les exilés, ridicule et sublime
Et rongé d'un désir sans trêve! et puis à vous,
Andromaque, des bras d'un grand époux tombée,
Vil bétail, sous la main du superbe Pyrrhus,
Auprès d'un tombeau vide en extase courbée
Veuve d'Hector, hélas! et femme d'Hélénus!
Je pense à la négresse, amaigrie et phtisique
Piétinant dans la boue, et cherchant, l'oeil hagard,
Les cocotiers absents de la superbe Afrique
Derrière la muraille immense du brouillard;
À quiconque a perdu ce qui ne se retrouve
Jamais, jamais! à ceux qui s'abreuvent de pleurs
Et tètent la Douleur comme une bonne louve!
Aux maigres orphelins séchant comme des fleurs!
Ainsi dans la forêt où mon esprit s'exile
Un vieux Souvenir sonne à plein souffle du cor!
Je pense aux matelots oubliés dans une île,
Aux captifs, aux vaincus!... à bien d'autres encor!
— Charles Baudelaire


THE SWAN
by: Charles Baudelaire
      NDROMACHE, I think of you! The stream,
      The poor, sad mirror where in bygone days
      Shone all the majesty of your widowed grief,
      The lying Simoïs flooded by your tears,
      Made all my fertile memory blossom forth
      As I passed by the new-built Carrousel.
      Old Paris is no more (a town, alas,
      Changes more quickly than man's heart may change);
      Yet in my mind I still can see the booths;
      The heaps of brick and rough-hewn capitals;
      The grass; the stones all over-green with moss;
      The débris, and the square-set heaps of tiles.
       
      There a menagerie was once outspread;
      And there I saw, one morning at the hour
      When toil awakes beneath the cold, clear sky,
      And the road roars upon the silent air,
      A swan who had escaped his cage, and walked
      On the dry pavement with his webby feet,
      And trailed his spotless plumage on the ground.
      And near a waterless stream the piteous swan
      Opened his beak, and bathing in the dust
      His nervous wings, he cried (his heart the while
      Filled with a vision of his own fair lake):
      "O water, when then wilt thou come in rain?
      Lightning, when wilt thou glitter?"
       
      Sometimes yet
      I see the hapless bird -- strange, fatal myth--
      Like him that Ovid writes of, lifting up
      Unto the cruelly blue, ironic heavens,
      With stretched, convulsive neck a thirsty face,
      As though he sent reproaches up to God!
       
      II.
       
      Paris may change; my melancholy is fixed.
      New palaces, and scaffoldings, and blocks,
      And suburbs old, are symbols all to me
      Whose memories are as heavy as a stone.
      And so, before the Louvre, to vex my soul,
      The image came of my majestic swan
      With his mad gestures, foolish and sublime,
      As of an exile whom one great desire
      Gnaws with no truce. And then I thought of you,
      Andromache! torn from your hero's arms;
      Beneath the hand of Pyrrhus in his pride;
      Bent o'er an empty tomb in ecstasy;
      Widow of Hector -- wife of Helenus!
      And of the negress, wan and phthisical,
      Tramping the mud, and with her haggard eyes
      Seeking beyond the mighty walls of fog
      The absent palm-trees of proud Africa;
      Of all who lose that which they never find;
      Of all who drink of tears; all whom grey grief
      Gives suck to as the kindly wolf gave suck;
      Of meagre orphans who like blossoms fade.
      And one old Memory like a crying horn
      Sounds through the forest where my soul is lost . . .
      I think of sailors on some isle forgotten;
      Of captives; vanquished . . . and of many more.

      and another.... "Swandive" by Ani DiFranco

      cradling the softest, warmest part of you in my hand
      feels like a little baby bird fallen from the nest
      i think that your body is something i understand
      i think that i'm happy, i think that i'm blessed

      i've got a lack of inhibition
      i've got a loss of perspective
      i've had a little bit to drink
      and it's making me think
      that i can jump ship and swim
      that the ocean will hold me
      that there's got to be more
      than this boat i'm in

      'cuz they can call me crazy if i fail
      all the chance that i need
      is one-in-a-million
      and they can call me brilliant
      if i succeed
      gravity is nothing to me, moving at the speed of sound
      i'm just going to get my feet wet
      until i drown

      and i teeter between tired
      and really, really tired
      im wiped and im wired but i guess its just as well
      because i built my own empire
      out of car tires and chicken wire
      and i'm queen of my own compost heap
      and i'm getting used to the smell

      and i've got a lack of information
      but i got a little revelation
      and i'm climbing up on the railing
      trying not to look down
      i'm going to do my best swan dive
      in the shark-infested waters
      i'm gonna pull out my tampon
      and start splashing around

      'cuz i don't care if they eat me alive
      i've got better thing to do than survive
      i've got a memory of your warm skin in my hand
      and i've got a vision of blue sky and dry land

      i'm cradling the hardest, heaviest part of me in my hand
      the ship is pitching and heaving, my limbs are bobbing and weaving
      and i think this is what i understand
      i just need a little vaccination for my far-away vacation
      i'm going to go ahead boldly because a little bird told me
      that jumping is easy, that falling is fun
      up until you hit the sidewalk, shivering, stunned

      and they can call me crazy if i fail
      all the chance that i need
      is one-in-a-million
      and they can call me brilliant
      if i succeed
      gravity is nothing to me
      moving at the speed of sound
      i'm just gonna get my feet wet
      until i drown... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...